London Global Table: Oct.13th 2010
A THOUGHT: Sacrifice derives from ‘to make sacred’ – there’s a clue to Global mindshift in dire times !!!
ACTION POINT Oppose Legal Loan-Sharking NOW. Friday is a deadline. http://www.endlegalloansharks.org.uk/take-action
MATTERS IN THE AIR …. Reminding each other of opportunities before us:
1. Do we understand the significance of this Soros article about China? Soros wrote on exchange rate conflicts in the FT. with Martin Wolf. http://tinyurl.com/2uptnu6
2.Useful Wikipedia references to Global Justice and related issues http://tiny.cc/wtqi5
3. Rodney Shakespeare at work on Press TV [11 minutes] http://www.getsmartaboutbanks.com/?p=1118
4. THE FINANCE LAB – OUTCOMES. https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#inbox/12b3f395061b4a56 another site to examine with care. Reporting a proposal for a new Lab on ‘Faith and Philosophy influencing finance – for good and ill’
5. Douglas Carswell MP second reading on monetary reform on November 19th http://www.positivemoney.org.uk/2010/09/douglas-carswell-mp-introduces-bill-to-stop-fractional-reserve-banking/ POSITIVE MONEY will be pushing this as far as we can – more very soon.
6. FOURTEENTH BROMSGROVE CONFERENCE Oct 29-31
7. CCMJ Annual Meeting Oct 23rd ‘How fares the World with usury? An invitation is extended to anyone who wishes to write 250 words in relation to the title. Details on request
8.Campaign for Economic Justice [CEJ] reporting
9.Keep in touch with the Forum for Stable Currency’ present activities http://sabinemcneill.blog.com/forum-for-stable-currencies/ where Sabine is making the link between the parts of the ‘pincer movement’ with Compensator of Last Resort on Victims Unite!
10. THURSDAY 21 OCTOBER, NEW POLITICAL ECONOMY GROUP PUBLIC MEETING THE COALITION SPENDING REVIEW AND LABOUR’S ALTERNATIVE Speakers: Jon Cruddas, Frances O’Grady, Polly Toynbee, Larry Elliott, Aditya Chakrabortty (chair) 7-9pm, House of Commons, Committee Room 14, St Stephen’s entrance (please arrive half an hour before start) Places are limited. Please register by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
PERTINENT PICKINGS from the week
Bernanke Tells the Truth: The United States is on the Brink of Financial Disaster Oct.2010 http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/2010/10/bernanke-tells-truth-united-states-is.html
CRASH COURSE IN MONEY – ECONOMY – ENRGY – ENVIRONMENT www.chrismartenson.com Who will join and monitor this site for the Table?
“Shock Therapy for Wall Street: JPMorgan Suspends 56,000 Foreclosures; GMAC and BOA Many More”Ellen Brown http://www.truth-out.org/shock-therapy-wall-street-jpmorgan-suspends-56000-foreclosures-gmac-and-boa-many-more63803 www.webofdebt.com
Mary Mellor for the Real World Economic Review : Could the money system be the basis of a sufficiency economy?http://www.paecon.net/PAEReview/issue54/Mellor54.pdf
Powerful critique from Michael Hudson: The Neoliberal Experiment and Europe’s anti-Austerity Strikes: Governments must Lower Wages or Suffer Financial Blackmail. By Michael Hudson www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=21263
Three events in the London region. https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=gmail&attid=0.1&thid=12b541f55398f470&mt=application/msword&url=https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui%3D2%26ik%3Db2967a
A SIGNIFICANT SUMMARY OF FINANCIAL CHANGE PUT TO INDIAN PM – MUKTAR ALAM https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1n7bhdBASpff0lBzTzDdTHM_gPsdhNN2q1dlnIKrk938&hl=en
CHANGING THE MODEL OF THE NORTH – MichAel Hudson – http://www.counterpunch.org/hudson09202010.html
LET THE ENVIRONMENT GOVERN THE HUMAN MIND-SHIFT – Johan Rockstrom http://preview.tinyurl.com/2wxw8aa a vivid 18 minutes on danger and opportunity
www.fouryearsgo.org FOUR YEARS GO is a campaign to shift the current trends of humanity by 2014 so that we will be headed on a path toward an environmentally sustainable, socially just, and spiritually fulfilling future on this planet.
Note that ‘Matters in the Air’ for the following Wednesday fall into place as matters arise and can be seen at each stage onwww.ccmj.org/members/news.php Let Peter know if you have anything to add or ask.
Google ‘The Disraeli Room’ to keep abreast of ResPublica – see there ‘Benedict, Red Tory and Blue Labour’
Ann Pettifer _ end of banking era http://tinyurl.com/37n9ke5
Banking is a form of bloodless warfare. Unless, of course, things really fall apart. Then the gun thugs are sent into to “restore order” or “bring democracy to the region.” Things haven’t gotten to this point in Europe, but this fascinating story about Swedish banks, the IMF and Latvian mortgage payers, reveals the dark underbelly of the international financial system. Woe to the naive. It’s a jungle out there. Video: http://www.realecontv.com/page/571.html
Christian and Buddhists statement on Greed http://tiny.cc/c4wac
“Manufacturing Dissent”: the Anti-globalization Movement is Funded by the Corporate Elites. The People’s Movement has been Hijacked. Michel Chossudovsky www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=21110
Crash Course In Resilience http://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/a-resilient-community/crash-course-in-resilience by Sarah van Gelder Sep 17, 2010 “To cherish what remains of the Earth and to foster its renewal is our only legitimate hope of survival.” -Wendell Berry “When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.” -Victor Frankl
“Basel III: Tightening the Noose on Credit” http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ellen-brown/basel-iii-tightening-the-_b_719536.html
SARKOZY – http://tarpley.net/2010/09/22/at-un-french-president-sarkozy-demands-financial-transaction-tax-on-banks-tobin-genie-now-out-of-the-bottle-worldwide-time-to-mobilize-against-finance-capital-on-this-issue/
Ellen Brown latest A Solution to the Federal Debt Crisis? Time for Helicopter Ben to Drop Some Money on Mainstream http://tinyurl.com/37y58k2
Global Collapse of the Fiat Money System: Too Big To Fail Global Banks Will Collapse Between Now and First Quarter 2011 When Quantitative Easing Has Run Its Course and Fails – Matthias Chang www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=20853 from Global Research, August 31, 2010
THE OTHER DEBT CRISIS http://blogs.worldwatch.org/greeneconomy/the-other-debt-crisis
We continue to wrestle with the following question: is it possible to build economies that provide ample jobs, without stoking the fires of consumption? What will provide job creation if people are not spending as much on personal consumption? Below, we offer some basic principles and […] http://blogs.worldwatch.org/greeneconomy/jobs-and-environment-discussion-series-principles-for-threading-the-needle/
Islamic thought – Hizb ut-Tahrir Britain’s new website – www.hizb.org .uk
To read the latest CCMJ newsletter and/or papers, go here.