FORTHCOMING DATES 2018 (including regular meetings*, updated each week)
* Wednesday 11th April 2018 Open Research Group, 12noon-2pm at the Global Table, School of Economic Science, 11-13 Mandeville Pl, Marylebone, London W1U 3AJ, chaired by Janos Abel. This is a regular weekly meeting – enquire for room number on arrival at reception. Our agenda begins with Matters in the Air: http://www.globaltable.org.uk/wp where notes of the previous meeting are posted. If you would like to let us know you are coming and/or would like to suggest items for discussion, write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wednesday, 11th April 2018: 7-9pm: Positive Money Hammersmith presents: “Reflections on the Nature of Money – putting the magic back into the money tree!” Making the case for nations to be at the heart of money creation, and the need to keep it simple… The speaker will be Andrew Purves, tutor at School of Economic Science. The format will be an interactive presentation followed by a group discussion. We’re a friendly group and everyone is welcome to join in! Optional donation towards venue cost: £3:00. Host: Mike Callis: Location: Grove Neighbourhood Centre (Upstairs Hall), 7 Bradmore Park Road, Hammersmith, London W6 0DT – see Map. If you are new to Positive Money it may be helpful for you to watch some of the short videos on the Positive Money Banking 101 Video Course
* Friday 13th April 2018: 5-7pm: Occupy Economics Working Group: Friends House, 173-177 Euston Rd, London NW1 2BJ: we meet in the corridor next to the Cafe: If you can’t find us, call John: 07950 996418 – call today if meeting is on – see Occupy London • Economics Working Group
* Monday 16th April 2018: – 5-7pm: Occupy Economics Working Group: Friends House, 173-177 Euston Rd, London NW1 2BJ: we meet in the corridor next to the Cafe: Please check with John beforehand if the meeting is happening as we may be visiting another group, see next two entries: 07950 996418 – see Occupy London • Economics Working Group • Notes from 16th Feb 2018.
* Monday 16th April 2018: – 6-8pm – Towards a Communalist Approach • Hosted by Kyle Farren, the organiser and co-organiser of the London Communalism Meetup • Informal meetings, to which all are welcome free of charge, to discuss Communalism, popular assemblies, and direct democracy in London • Discovering a politics of citizenship based on shared public concern • For the first half of each meeting, internal education, reading a work aloud and discussing it, like The Next Revolution or Utopia for Realists. For the second half, discussion of projects, like how to introduce a basic income to the UK or save the NHS. • From 6 pm to 8 pm on the third Monday of each month in 2018 • In the Reading Room, Mayday Rooms, 88 Fleet Street, London EC4Y 1DH: Contact via Meetup Page. See also: https://cocreativelearning.org/index.php/CoCreative_Learning
* Tuesday 17th April 2018: Free Critical Thinking: 7pm-9pm, new venue – London School of Mosaic, Basement Studio No 73-96, Ludham House, Southampton Road, London, NW5 4SF (Gospel Oak overground and Belsize Park tube): http://www.freecriticalthinking.org • A view of Critical Thinking’s scope http://freecriticalthinking.org/9-general/1518-hierarchy-and-the-political-economy and in pithy summary – “Hierarchy, theft of the Commons and Usury are the fundamental drivers of poverty, wars, environmental destruction and the enslavement of humanity. Once we understand that, we’re on the road to recovering humanity.”
Thursday 19th April 2018: 7:30-10pm: Positive Money Greenwich presents: Wolf, Turner and King on the Global Financial Crisis — Martin Wolf, Mervyn King and Adair Turner have all published significant and important books* about the view from their ring-side seats, respectively at the FT, Bank of England, and the Financial Services Authority, during the financial crisis of 2008 and its aftermath. The three share a common critique of the banking system and its reliance on private debt, yet each has a distinctive slant on these events and their causes and, most importantly, their proposed remedies. In this, all three indicate a sympathetic understanding of Positive Money’s own reform proposals, yet fall short of whole-heated endorsement. In this talk, Mike O’Keefe will examine the commonalities and contrasts between the three authors and our own diagnosis and prescription. *The three books, of course, are Martin Wolf’s The shifts and the shocks, 2014, Mervyn King’s The end of alchemy, 2016 and Adair Turner’s Between debt and the devil, 2016. But there is no reason why you should have read the books in order to participate in a lively and informed discussion of their conclusions. The meeting is hosted by: Michael O’Keefe. You can find us in the upper room of The Prince of Greenwich pub, 72 Royal Hill, Greenwich, London SE10 8RT – Map. . Sign up on the Positive Money website. Register on Meetup. This meetup is for everyone interested in how money system works and how it could be changed to be constructive and socially beneficial. Feel free to invite your friends who might be interested too. Everyone is welcome! www.positivemoney.org.